Thursday 30 September 2010

Everybody Hurts

I can imagine that the mood is very subdued today at Episkopi Garrison here in Cyprus as news seeps through that the 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment – known as the 2 Lancs - have suffered another loss of life during their deployment in Afghanistan. I can only offer my heartfelt sympathies, not only to the family and friends bit also to the colleagues that remain to fight another day with one less comrade in their courageous crew.
Prior to moving to moving to Cyprus and rubbing shoulders with the military, I had no real concept of the impact of this kind of news. It is true that these kind of reports are always tragic but back in Civvie-world it was easier to detach and spout off hollow platitudes of the futility of war, and in particular the conflict in Afghanistan. It’s not so simple when you start to meet the families and realise that there is a credible and terrible chance that your friends and neighbours may one day become the victims of another senseless attack. Real people with real lives, not just another statistic.
It is with absolute certainty that I feel that we should have the utmost pride and awe for the courage, integrity and comradeship shown by the troops who put themselves in the face of danger daily. It is with relief and gratitude that I observe that the tide has turned within the media and that our brave troops are finally being proffered the respect and recognition that they have earned ten-fold.
I also spare a thought for the partners and families left behind when loved ones are deployed to these hostile lands. Now that the children have returned to school, I pride myself on having made it through the six weeks without committing an act of filicide, however, on reflection, this is a scant achievement compared to the legions of wives and husbands who had no choice but to battle through the break without the support of their partner. In addition to that, no doubt, they would have had to maintain a positive and cheerful disposition for the sake of the children, all the time watching the news with trepidation and experiencing many a heart-stopping moment any time the phone or the doorbell rang at unexpected hours. I’m not sure I possess the inner resolve and grit required to try and lead a normal life under such a threatening shadow. Military wives and partners, I salute you. War has many unsung heroes, and amongst them you should stand proud.
There is talk of Homecoming parade when the 2Lancs eventually return to Episkopi from Afghanistan. I for one, will be there, sadly aware, having lost my civvie naivety, that amongst the jubilation, pomp and circumstance march a bunch of men and women haunted by the sights and sounds of life on the battlefield. And, behind the scenes will be families shattered by the fact that their loved ones were brutally robbed of the chance to be reunited once more. This is the bitterest pill that I have had to swallow.
To all of you affected directly or indirectly by this senseless, heartless war I extend my humblest sympathies. And to those waiting on their love ones to return I offer my heartfelt hopes for their safe return.

No comments:

Post a Comment